April 3rd

To just before Leggett, Redwoods River Resort

It was a short 12 miles, took us just over a hour but it wasn't a fun ride- mostly because of the last few miles. Surly ran about 5 miles on the side/country roads. As we pass Piercy- which is just a collection of a few houses- nothing else, we heard a pack of dogs up the road barking. It wasn't just up the road really- it was up a hill so we were at a major disadvantage. We had to stop part of the way up and let the barking settle- I saw a pickup truck drive across the street from the house- so there was at least someone there. I started to sprint up the hill, hoping to get by before the dogs noticed...a few of them though noticed Cook behind me and came out to chase. The owner across the street wasn't much help, just yelling at them to go home. Urgh. I hate dogs - ok well I love dogs- but I hate them when they decide that I'm the thing to chase.

There was a mile or so section on 101 where there was construction so we lost our shoulder and had to ride partially on the rumble strip- during a downhill section I lost my little mirror I use to check in on the dog- it just bounced right out and there was no way to stop and get it. oh well- I'll have to buy a new one at the next bike shop. They are basically building a bridge to cut out the section of road that runs along the side of one of the mountains since the slides keep burying it. Seems like every road in CA is sinking or falling into the sea... :) Don't buy a house on the cliffs!

We stayed in a ''lodge" room at a campground/motel/rv park. It was just a nice room under the trees in a small building- we had our own deck and kitchen-not bad especially for the money. Except some little critter had did in there at some point, it was pretty stinky until we aired it out and they came to spray something. It was supposed to get down to 25ish that night, so outside would be just too cold. Cook's bag is rated for 30, plus a liner that makes it actually comfortable to about 30. Oh and it was awesome that we got to do ALL our laundry- including jeans!

No comments: